It’s this time of year again where we look back on the last 12 months and identify the highlights of our year – our achievements, our best trips and all the people who’ve joined us on those crazy adventures. For us at hostelling, people are what it’s all about. There are the people who make us grateful to go to work every day. There are the people with extraordinary life stories and crazy travel plans who stay in our hostels every night. Plus, there are all those people who just like us, believe that travel can make the world a better place. This article is an homage to some of those pretty awesome social creatures who made 2016 another fantastic year!
1. Meet Laurence, assistant-manager at HI-Whistler. When she’s not welcoming guests, she’s on the slope enjoying all of that fresh pow. Not bad for a work break.
2. Meet Michael, a German traveller who joined the HI-Montréal team and kept the pub crawl tradition going strong all summer long!
3. Meet Eleanor, the talented aussie who joined our Vancouver office team and never ceases to treat our eyes to beautiful photographs of Canada.
Floating along 🌲 #dailyhivevan #exploreBC #TLPicks #BPmag #earthofficial #explorecanada #vancityhype #vancityfeature #veryvancouver #vancouverisawesome #bestvacations #livefolk #roamtheplanet #awesomeearth #christmas #tourtheplanet #welivetoexplore #canada #bcadventuregirls #radgirlslife #bobcanada #sevendayweekend #vancouver #pnw #pnwwonderland #sheexplores
4. Meet Johan, from @lebackpacker, who stayed in our hostels this summer and took pictures that are simply out of this world.
5. Meet David, the man behind the latest HI hostel in Canada, and the latino crew who invaded HI-Squamish this summer. Hasta pronto, amigo(a)s!
6. Meet Ren, who stayed at HI-Charlottetown and cycled across Canada over 3 months. Our 2017 resolution? Be a little more like Ren!
Here's a bit of inspiration to start planing next summer's adventure: this is Ren in front of HI – Charlottetown. He rode that bike for three months all the way from Vancouver before arriving. How's that for a trip? Photo by @kuroneko4683. . . . #hicharlottetown #travel #bike #bikeride #explorecanada #bicycle #journey #hostel #backpacker #princeedwardisland
7. Meet Jessica from Nomade Magazine who stayed in our hostels across the country and shared her adventures along the way. Montreal -> Tofino, baby ✌
8. Meet this bunch of friends who are enjoying sunset at HI-Sea Shack. If this picture doesn’t capture summer perfection, we don’t know what does.
The season is coming to an end for our friends at the Sea Shack hostel. Judging by this beautiful picture though, it seems like some of us are not willing to give up on summer just yet! — #hiseashack #beach #quebec #seashack #gaspesie #ExploreCanada #quebecoriginal #quebecregion #summer #aubergedejeunesse #hostel #partyhostel #hostelscanada #bobcanada — Photo by @globe.shop.inc
9. Meet Eric, a 75-year old volunteer at HI-Vancouver Central. Eric welcomed his 20,000th guests on his tour this year. How he kept counting, we don’t know!
— HI-Canada (@hostelscanada) December 27, 2016
10. Meet the fearless women who participated to Queen of the Peak, a women surf championship taking place in Tofino each September. HI-Tofino is a proud partner of the event, and of all the fierce women out there!
Beach babes, beer and BBQ are all happening tonight at HI-Tofino for the @queenofthepeak Backside Kick Off Party! Don't worry if you can't get here tonight, the surf competition runs all weekend until Sunday so get out to Tofino and check out this incredible community of surfers and travellers. [PC: @eleanorisdale] #hitofino #tofino #queenofthepeak #surf #surfing #beach #bc #vancouverisland #travel
11. Meet Gabrielle, the Pinterest-enthusiast and social brain behind the activities organized at HI-Montréal. You may also recognize her from this little video.
12. Meet our deer friend! Animals can be pretty social too and we love it when they surprise us with a visit.